melted butter to grease
3/4 cup plain flour
4 eggs at room temperature
2/3 cup caster sugar
60g butter melted
1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
1/3 cup strawberry jam warmed
300ml thickened cream whipped
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk
25g butter chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Brush a 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and sides with a little of the flour.
- Using electric beaters, beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl for 8-10 minutes or until thick pale and creamy. Sift half the flour over the egg mixture. Use a large metal spoon to fold until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture. Working quickly, fold in the melted butter until combined.
- Spoon cake mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and the cake springs back when lightly tapped. Turn immediately top side up onto a baking paper covered wire rack to cool.
- To make the chocolate icing, side the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a heatproof bowl. Stir in the milk and add the butter. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until icing is slightly thickened.
- Place the cake on a wire rack set over a tray. Spoon half the icing over the cake to coat. Refrigerate cake for 30 minutes. Spoon remaining icing over cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until icing is set.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake in half. Sandwich cake with the jam and whipped cream.